Monday, March 28, 2011

Subaltern studies

So I attempted to read Spivak's article, twice. It's definitely the hardest read I've encountered in this course. I know she is a very important figure in this field, but I can't understand what she's saying in this article. it is so dense, that I can't pick the imprtant point to concentrate on.
Something that I did understand at the beginning: Spivak states that a functional change ina sign-system is a violent event which can only be operated by the force of a crisis. Subaltern is the main figure of change: the subalternity turns things upside-down. I hope to clear some more  things out for myself before tomorrow's class.

5 comments:

  1. It is difficult, no question.

    Did reading it alongside the Guha help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the suggestion Jon, I'm doing that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely feel the same, I found Spivak's reading very hard, hopefully tomorrow will clarify it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you...I felt like I had to keep re-reading the text and was still lost. But I do think you're right that the subaltern turns things upside down...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand! I focused on Guha and it took me one hour per page. This is a 40 page essay which makes reading this a full-time job. I do have a disability and reading is affected but clearly every one has been having a hard time. The whole time I read, I was mad at myself for being so slow. At the end, I reread ten pages at that took about 1,5 hours, I think. I think we need an illustrated cartoon version as an introduction... Does that exist for Guha and Spivak?

    ReplyDelete